WHAT IS “PERSONAL INFORMATION”?
‘‘Personal information’’ refers to information relating to a identifying and individual or company, for example;
- information relating to race, gender, sex, pregnancy, marital status, nationality, ethnic or social origin, colour, sexual orientation, age, physical or mental health, well-being, disability, religion, conscience, belief, culture, language and birth that enables one to identify the person or company.
- information relating to education, medical, financial, criminal or employment history of the person
- any identifying number, symbol, e-mail addresses, physical address, telephone numbers, location information, online identifier or other particular assignment to the person
- the biometric information of the person
- the personal opinions, views or preferences of the person OR views and opinions of another person about the person/company.
- any correspondence sent by the person that is private or confidential
- the name of the person if the name (or associated information) would reveal information about the person
It is not considered “personal information” if the information is already in the public domain.